Return to Help & Advice

Support at Home

In this section you will find information for areas linking to home life including domestic violence and financial support.

Domestic violence and abuse

Anyone can be a victim of domestic abuse, regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, religion, socio-economic status, sexuality or background, and anybody can be an abuser.

Domestic violence, also called domestic abuse, includes physical, emotional and sexual abuse in couple relationships or between family members.

You do not have to wait for an emergency situation to find help. If domestic abuse is happening to you, it’s important to tell someone and remember you’re not alone.

There are different kinds of abuse, but it’s always about having power and control over you.

Recognise domestic abuse

Does your partner, ex-partner or someone you live with:

  • cut you off from family and friends and intentionally isolate you?
  • bully, threaten, or control you?
  • take control of your finances?
  • monitor or limit your use of technology?
  • physically and/or sexually abuse you?

Domestic abuse is not always physical violence. It can also include:

  • coercive control and ‘gaslighting’
  • economic abuse
  • online abuse
  • threats and intimidation
  • emotional abuse
  • sexual abuse

Getting help and support for domestic violence

NHSNHS – Domestic violence and abuse

Domestic violence or abuse can happen to anyone. Find out how to recognise the signs and where to get help.


Herts SunflowerHerts Sunflower

Herts Sunflower is a service supporting people who have been abused or people who know someone who has been abused.

Herts Domestic abuse helpline:
Free and confidential support: 08 088 088 088
Mon-Fri: 9am – 9pm
Sat-Sun: 9am – 4pm
Email: confidentially, anytime.


As a woman fleeing domestic abuse, you may want to access specialist refuge accommodation. The Helpline can help you find a refuge vacancy for you and your children; call us for more information.

We can also support you to find other specialist services in your community, which can provide support whether or not you have left your partner

The freephone, 24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline: 0808 2000 247

RespectRespect – Men’s advice line

Men can call Men’s Advice Line on 0808 8010 327 (Monday to Friday 10am to 8pm), or visit the webchat on their website.


Mankind InitiativeMankind Initiative

Our confidential helpline is available for male victims of domestic abuse and domestic violence across the UK as well as their friends, family, neighbours, work colleagues and employers.



If you identify as LGBT+ you can call Galop on 0800 999 5428 for emotional and practical support for domestic abuse

Or email can email


Women's AidWomen’s Aid

Women’s Aid is a grassroots federation working together to provide life-saving services and build a future where domestic violence is not tolerated.

Women can email


Karma NirvanaKarma Nirvana

Anyone can call Karma Nirvana on 0800 5999 247 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm) for forced marriage and honour crimes.


You can also call 020 7008 0151 to speak to the:

GOV.UK Forced Marriage Unit

Food Banks

Food bank support is for anybody who needs short-term food support. This can include those who are homeless, unemployed or employed, but their pay is insufficient to meet their needs.

The Trussell TrustThe Trussell Trust

We support a nationwide network of food banks and together we provide emergency food and support to people locked in poverty, and campaign for change to end the need for food banks in the UK.


Food Rescue HubFood Rescue Hub

Discover our food boutique where unsold food, otherwise destined for destruction, is rescued and diverted from the bin, and instead offered to our community.  Uncooked food is recovered from local food-based businesses and is offered on a pay-as-you-feel (PAYF) basis making it accessible and encouraged to all members of the community.


The Attimore Hall Pub,
Welwyn Garden City, AL7 2AD

TUESDAY: Weekly 09.30 am – 11.00am

New Zion Christian Fellowship Food bank

The foodbank is a registered charity and is open every Wednesday morning. To access the food, the recipient or their representative will need a food voucher. Vouchers can be issued by Welwyn Hatfield Citizens Advice.


New Zion Christian Fellowship Food Bank,
140 Cole Green Lane, WGC, Hertfordshire.

Opening times: Wednesday 9-11am

Citizens Advice Welwyn HatfieldCitizens Advice Welwyn Hatfield

Email via our online form

Queensway House, Queensway, Hatfield,
Herts AL10 0LW

Monday to Friday appointments by arrangement.


Food Bank - Open Heaven Christian Centre HatfieldManna Foodbank

Open Heaven Christian Centre operates a food bank which collects and gives food to meet the needs of families struggling to put food on their table due to unemployment. We are here to help homeless adults and children in need of food and clothing during holiday periods.


Open every Friday 1pm to 3pm
Friendship House, Wellfield Road, AL10 0BU
07949 182493

Potters Bar FoodbankPotters Bar Foodbank

We provide three days’ nutritionally balance emergency food and support to local people who are referred to us in crisis. We are are park of a nationwide network of foodbanks, supported by the Trussell Trust.


Blaze 4:16-Potters Bar Foodbank
Jubilee Wayside Community Centre
Potters Bar,

Phone: 07367789410 & 07310854178

Opening times:
Saturday 12:45pm – 2.30pm

Hatfield FoodbankHatfield Foodbank


Gracemead Church
Gracemead House,
Woods Avenue,
AL10 8HX

Car access is via Dellfield Road
Sat Nav use AL10 8EW

Phone: 07504 627359

Opening times:
Tuesday 11:30am – 2:00pm

Borehamwood FoodbankBorehamwood Foodbank


St Teresa’s Church
291 Shenley Rd,

Phone: 0203 583 1109

Opening times:
Monday 12:30pm – 3:00pm
Thursday  10:00am – 12:30pm

Please email for a food bank voucher.

Support with paying bills

Not being able to afford to heat or power your home can be very worrying and stressful. You may be able to get help with essential costs from your local council. This is sometimes known as ‘the Household Support Fund’. This could help if you’re struggling to afford things like:

  • energy and water bills
  • food
  • essential items

Find out what support is available to help with bills and costs in England. This includes support with utility bills, support from your local council and Council Tax Reduction.

Money HelperMoney Helper

Not being able to afford to heat or power your home can be very worrying and stressful. It’s important to continue paying these bills and there’s help available from your supplier if you’re struggling before you get into debt. Get in touch before you miss a payment and find out how they can help you, as well as other ways to get back on track.


Citizens AdviceCitizens Advice

Grants and benefits to help you pay your energy bills.


Help for HouseholdsHelp for Households

See what support is available to help with the cost of living and save money with our energy saving tips.